Friday, October 1, 2010

Shoe Drive!!



Hello Strangers,

So I have not written much in the past few months..probably because I am no longer in Haiti (although would argue that that is exactly where I want to be!) However, this life can be difficult in that it doesn't always let us be where we want to be most of all.


So that being said I am still trying to work on good things for Haiti (and hopefully I will learn to sew in the next few months..but that's another project for another time).

In trying to still help out those in need I came across this group called Soles for Souls and fell in love with the idea of gathering shoes for those less fortunate (not just in Haiti but all over the world!) I mean what a great idea..think about it, how many of us have shoes sitting in our closets that we don't and will never wear! Now think about the fact that for many in this world shoes are a luxury!

When I was in Haiti our Dr. Jen answered an email that she thought said we would receive 90 pairs of CROCS. Boy was she surprised when she got the call asking her where they should put the 90 BOXES of CROCS?! The sad thing is I think we ended up giving away almost all the pairs (even tho most were sizes 8-12 mens and bright pink, purple and yellow to boot!) It was pretty crazy to see the tough guys of Cite Soleil wearing bright pruple CROCS but I guess when its all you've got....

So this coming week I am launching my own shoe drive and am asking you to look into those closets for new and gently worn shoes..all sizes and all types (yes even heels..)

"Soles4Souls accepts all types of shoes: athletic, running, dress, sandals,pumps, heels, work boots, cleats, dance, flip flops, just as long as they are new or gently worn"

"We define gently worn as shoes that you would still wear. They should have solid soles with no holes, laces if applicable, clean (no mud). We never like to see anything thrown away, so please, if there is any question, send the shoes along and we will sort and utilize the best possible way."

I do not unfortunatly have a lot of drop off locations (primarily The Cross Inpatient units) but if people are willing to collect for a bit I can come by and pick the shoes up! Also if you don't have any shoes you can donate and want to help out I am also taking donations to help with the shipping of the shoes after the drive (to the States)

Thanks again everyone for your support...

Check out Soles for Souls website

http://www.soles4souls.org/


1 comment:

  1. Hey Lise!

    Thanks so much for partnering with us to collect shoes for victims of the earthquake. We'd love if you shared your story on our Facebook (www.facebook.com/giveshoes)

    Also, I thought you might be interested in our distribution trips. We just started this initiative to allow people to experience giving shoes first hand! Here are several stories from our recent trips to Haiti: http://ow.ly/2O9iQ

    We'd love for you to join us! If you're interested, you can shoot me an email, jeremyc@giveshoes.org, & I can help you get more info.

    Thanks again, Lise!
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete