Friday, October 22, 2010

Cholera Outbreak

There has been a cholera outbreak in Haiti... deadly within hours in healthy people.. I will be sending money to Florida for a reputable source to buy needed supplies there as I don't have enough time to get supplies together and put there by Monday. If anyone wants to help message me here, email:lbudreo@hotmail.com or via text 780-278-7186.

Cholera is...
Cholera is an acute diarrhoeal disease that can kill within hours if left untreated

Effective control measures rely on prevention, preparedness and response

About 75% of people infected with V. cholerae do not develop any symptoms, although the bacteria are present in their faeces for 7–14 days after infection and are shed back into the environment, potentially infecting other people.

People with low immunity – such as malnourished children or people living with HIV – are at a greater risk of death if infected
(WHO, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs107/en/index.html)

As of right now the outbreak has not hit Port Au Prince but its just a matter of time as a person can be infected and not know it, travel to a different region and infect people there...

I wish I was in Haiti right now...so badly..but I cannot be so I will do what I can from here...

Thanks for your support!
Lise

No comments:

Post a Comment